"Getting things done is not always what is most important. There is value in allowing others to learn, even if the task is not accomplished as quickly, efficiently, or effectively." - R. D. Clyde

336
I wish I could find the original of this story about the rancher and his young son. I remember it something like this:

A rancher takes his young son out to extend a fence on their property. He talks the boy through the work to be done, shows him the materials and the tools, and then--patiently talking him through it--gives the boy the opportunity to do most of the work.

The owner of the adjacent property happens by, seeing their handiwork, and gives the farmer a hard time about the quality. It's not the best fence-work he's ever seen.

The farmer replies to his neighbor: "You don't understand. I'm not building a fence, I'm building a boy."
336
Thanks for your comment